Advertisement

Section menu


deseretnews.com
Arts & entertainment


Thursday, February 04, 1999



Format for printing

E-mail story




'Parade' closing after $5.5 million loss

By Jesse McKinley
New York Times News Service

      NEW YORK — Seeing ticket sales falling and their producing partner in bankruptcy court, officials at Lincoln Center Theater said Tuesday that they would close the musical "Parade" at the end of the month. The show, at Lincoln Center's Vivian Beaumont Theater, will have lost an estimated $5.5 million when it closes, officials said.
      Bernard Gersten, the musical's executive producer, said the theater simply did not have the money to continue promoting the show and absorbing its weekly losses.
      Part of the problem was that "Parade" was co-produced with Livent, the private Canadian theater producing company that filed for protection under Chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy code in November. That left Lincoln Center Theater solely responsible for weekly running costs and any weekly losses, which last week were almost $100,000.
      "We didn't have all the resources we needed to keep the show open," Gersten said.
      "Parade," with music and lyrics by Jason Robert Brown and a book by Alfred Uhry, opened in mid-December to mixed reviews, with some critics faulting the musical's somber subject matter: the 1915 lynching of Leo Frank, a Jewish factory supervisor in Marietta, Ga.
      After its final performance, a matinee on Feb. 28, "Parade" will have played 39 previews and 84 performances.
      Gersten announced the decision to close the show to the cast before Tuesday night's performance.



World & Nation + Utah + Sports + Business + Opinion + Front page